Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Maybeline Color Sensational Vivids in Shocking Coral 870 / Review & Swatch

Wow now that's what I call a flashy color!

I've mentioned recently that I was more and more attracted to coral shades. I find them joyous, uplifting and this Spring there's a lot of it. This is likely in part due to the Panetone color of the year, emerald green. You can wear pretty much anything with it as long as it's properly accessorized. Still, I find that coral goes pretty well with emerald green.

A few days ago I brought you a review of L'Oréal Color Riche Balm in Caring Coral which barely showed on my lips. This Maybeline Color Sensational Vivids in Shocking Coral is quite the opposite!!! Of course it's not quite fair to compare the two since the first is a balm and the second a lipstick. Still, I couldn't resist since they are both corals.




I'm sorry about the fact that my swatch is a little blurry. My camera is not made for close ups so I did the best I could. This is with sunlight (which we've had so little of lately). In reality it's a little brighter.

More pink than orange, which is usually what a coral is, a mix of these two colors. It is vivid, very much so. When I put it on and looked in the mirror I had a shock! I haven't worn bright colors in ages and this is so different than the neutrals I'm used to.

To tone it down a notch I blotted it a little and aplied a thin layer of the first neutral lipstick I could put my hands on, Clinique Different Lipstick in Tenderheart. It worked! It made Shocking Coral more wearable for me so it's not a waste. Still coral but not as bright.

The formula goes on effortlessly and it has good color payoff. For a $10.00 lipstick I'm quite impressed. I don't think I've ever purchased a Maybeline lipstick before and will likely look into their other options in the future.

I can't comment about it's performance at this point since I haven't started to wear brighter colored clothes yet since it's still early Spring in Montreal and I can't say that we've been spoiled as far as the weather goes. Even when I do start to start to lighten up my wardrobe, the fact that I'll use another lipstick over it will change it's performance. Now that doesn't bother me much. The formula is pleasant to wear and with Tenderheart over it was quite moisturizing. I'm not saying that I'll be wearing it everyday but it will be a good go to if I don't find another more appropriate coral shade...

I am, after all, on a no buy at the moment!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...