Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lemon Dreams & The Body Shop's Sweet Lemon Beautifying Oil / Review

Lemons! Who doesn't like the smell of lemons, the taste of lemons in a Greek salad, lemon curd on freshly baked scones, candied lemon rinds at Christmas.... Just using lemons in the kitchen, the fragrance alone resonates Summer all year round.



In popular culture lemons have gotten somewhat a bad wrap! *sigh* Why oh why? When something doesn't work right, it's a lemon. Enough! 


Well, there is that! Seems we can't escape car jokes.

Sorry, it seems I'm not making sense or at least not giving you what you want. A review! Can you tell I love lemons! 




Learning that The Body Shop had come out with dry oils in ten different fragrances was exciting enough but learning they had a lemon scented one in their new line was just too much for me to take! Yes, I'm that crazy about lemons! I was slightly scared. Would it smell like freshly cut lemons or, would it smell like a lemon scented household cleanser? I just had to find out.


Not the kind of lemon scent I'm looking for, at all.
My nose hurts just thinking about those.


So, I went on a Quest! I dragged my "sweet" daughter downtown with the promess that we would make a stop at Ben & Jerry's for one of their fabulous milk shakes on our way back. At 13, she hates going to The Body Shop. She finds it boring....hmm, seems she's not a girly girl, yet! When I go there I know I have to move fast, for she practically holds a chronometer in her hands. Actually it's her watch that she keeps looking at, getting more impatient by the minute and going, "Mom, really! Aren't you done yet?" I have a feeling she'll regret those words one day, thinking about the "stuff" I could have gotten for her. But hey, hopefully she won't end up on an psychiatrist's chair complaining. 

Again, sorry! I'm so off course!

The Body Shop Sweet Beautifying Oil / 
Dry Oil for Body, Face & Hair, in Sweet Lemon

The main ingredients are lemon seed oil, community fair trade marula oil, sweet almond oil and kukui nut oil. I will add that there's a lot of lemon in it since the fragrance is way up in the ingredient list.

The fragrance

Dreamy! Lovely, just lovely! My friend Laura was so right! It does not smell like Pledge or Mr Clean. Not exactly like fresh cut lemons, in a sense sweeter but not sweet enough to seem "fake". It's a very natural odor, thankfully, not detergent like at all and it doesn't make my nose curl up! As a moisturizer, quite respectable, especially compared to Origins Ginger Gloss Smoothing Body Oil which was so disappointing in every way.



Don't expect the fragrance to last all day, it won't! It will last at most a few hours, if you're lucky! That will depend on your skin's chemistry. Even if it doesn't perform the way I would like, it's still pleasant to put on and the moisture, the silkiness it provides it quite nice. This too lasts longer than Origins. At $26.00 CAD for 100 ml I find it an honest price. Oops! That was with the price of the Ben & Jerry's milk shake and humm, ice cream cone. Whaaat? I had to get my coconut seven layer bar ice cream! What can I say, they didn't have Lemon!

The Body Oil is actually $14.00 CAD

For body skin and hair. I would not use it on my face. Lemon can be very irritating and even if some swear by it to help fade hyperpigmentation, it can, after a while, have adverse effects. Especially if you don't use a good sunscreen during the day. I figure it's not worth the risks. 



Here is the complete list of ingredients from The Body Shop's website:
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), Dicaprylyl Carbonate (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Citrus Medica Limonum Seed Oil/Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Seed Oil/Lemon Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent - Emollient), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil/Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil (Emollient), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-t-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate (Antioxidant), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Emollient), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Antioxidant).


Three Lemons, Édouard Manet, 1880

Don't be surprised if I revisit "The Lemon". For now, I think I'll go get a large glass of lemonade!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...