Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Real Techniques Brush Collection, Eye Starter Set / Review

With all the rave reviews Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman brushes get, I guess it was time for me to take the leap. I purchased the Eye Starter Set last week for a little under $20.00.











Here goes...

If this is your first makeup set you'll be disappointed. They are well made, soft and easy to clean but their sizes are awkward. While one is almost too small, the others are too big for me to do any kind of precise eye shadow application.

From left to right on the above picture...

Brow brush: this one actually ain't so bad but I already have a few of those and use them mainly for eye liner application. This brow brush would be too thick for that and since I already have full brows I don't need to apply anything on them. It's very soft so one would have to be careful if it's used to apply a brow powder, It may not be very precise due to it's size and softness.

Pixel-point eyeliner brush: nothing pixel point about it. It can work if you like a thick line but for any precise work it's a no go. It can be used as a thin pencil brush for eye shadows in the corner of the eyes or on the lower lash line but for this I already use one of thin my angled brushes.

Accent brush: this is the one I've used the most to deepen dark colors on the outer corner of my eyes. So far it's the only use I have for it since it's too small for anything else. It could also be used for smudging crayon if that's what you use for eye liner.

Deluxe crease brush: this one is a mystery! I don't see how anyone could use it in the crease area since it's huge! I've tried to use it to apply powder over my concealer and what a mess. Swirling it on my Givenchy compact it created so much fall out even with the lightest touch that I gave up after the 3rd attempt. I tried to use it for blending but again, I found it too big. It did an ok job for blending concealer but this is not a necessary step for me.

Base shadow brush: if only this one were a little smaller it would indeed be perfect for all over shadow application but again, a let down for me.

Would I recommend Real Techniques Eye Starter Set? Sadly, no!

This is of course totally personal. We all use our brushes differently, apply our makeup differently and I know these are loved by many, many women. I'm just sad I didn't get another kit instead and at this point I'm not sure I will since the other two Real Techniques kits that are available also have brushes I know I won't use. This in fact is the reason why I chose the one I'm reviewing today, thinking I would get more mileage out of it.

What I've noticed from reading some of the reviews of this kit is that one has to keep an open mind and forgo the descriptions written on the box. If one already has a good makeup brush collection they may serve a purpose. I've tried them only with powder shadows and think they may work better with cream but again, the two I would have considered for this, the base shadow brush and the deluxe crease brush are too big for me.

Considering that I would have had use for only the accent brush, I was relieved to be able to return this set to the store. I'm in dire need of new brushes and will be buying them individually to better suit my needs. Last night I found the perfect small shader brush from Soho Beauty at Winners for $5.00! I'm more excited about trying that one than I was when I got the Real Technique kit! I'm weird like that. Still, if ever it turns out not being that good, loosing $5.00 is way better than $20.00 in my book! :)


Reviews:

Makeup Alley: 4.4 / 5 lippies for 60 reviews.
Beauté-test: 4.2 / 5 stars for 32 reviews.


Have you tried Real Techniques brushes? Which are your favorites?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...