Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mascaras, Let's Compare a Few... Brushes!

Every time I review a mascara I always mention the importance of the combination of good formula and good brush. You really can't have one without the other. Basic I know but this is something that may have been overlooked by some of those who are still searching for "The One".

I think the first step is trying to figure out which brush works best for you and then take it from there because even if you have found a great formula, if you keep struggling with the brush, well, that's not a good thing. There is a perfect mascara for everyone out there, believe me!

Why was it such a struggle for me? My lashes are on the short side and point straight down plus they are stiff and hard to curl. The only way I can keep a curl all day is by heating my lash curler with my hair dryer and that's with mascara on! If I do this before application it's always a major fail. Doing this the mascara formula must be on the amazing side because not all can sustain a heated lash curler. Several "melt" on point of contact and although not super noticeable it's a little annoying.

The mascaras mentioned below all have great formulas that did good with the heated lash curler. Some believe that you're not suppose to curl your lashes with mascara on, thinking that it will break them but I've been doing this for years with no issues. If you break or pull off lashes the problem is the lash curler itself not the fact that you have mascara on. Oh I almost forgot, all these mascaras kept the curl a good 12 hours too!

Let's compare some brushes...

These are the ones I've used this year. Of course if you have long naturally curly lashes (I could almost hate you right now, yes I'm talking to you Melissa from Kiss & Makeup and Tracy from Beauty Reflections) you may not even need to bother with this entry, these comments but, you may still find it... informative. :)

L'Oréal Voluminous Million Lashes Excess:  the brush is huge compared to the others and I don't quite get the curve of it. The wand itself is kind of soft and a little flimsy and I must admit that I was a afraid it would break at one point leaving the brush in the container. Still it was a good drugstore option because it did a good job and it's one I'd reconsider.

Estée Lauder Sumptuous: my favorite! It's a standard no fuss conic shaped brush that due to the fact it's more pointy makes mascara application easier on those inner corner tiny lashes.

Benefit They're Real!: Ok this one is a little funky and prickly but it does a good quick job. Combined with a good product it's one that I now buy in it's small size to always have available.

Diorshow Iconic: I truly loved this beautifully smooth formula but as mentioned the brush is a pain! Notice the difference below compared to the others? How the bristles are tight, close to one another? Once there a bit of products on the lashes it can barely grab on to them for a second coat. I was able to achieve a good look with it but it did take longer and that was rather annoying some mornings.

Diorshow Iconic Overcurl: curved brushes aren't my favorite and this one made it hard to grab the lashes on the inner corners of my eyes. I can't comment on the formula since it appears I ended up with a bad one that I had to take back but do know it gets a lot of love. I don't think I will try again just because of the brush.




My wish...

Could someone combine the formula of Diorshow Iconic with Estée Lauder's Sumptuous brush? This would make it one of the best mascaras out there!!!

Yes I dare say, even better than Benefit They're Real!

The mascaras mentioned here are all top sellers and get high ratings so yes, if you want to try any of them do go ahead. You may have noticed in the reviews I wrote about them, I really have nothing negative to say about their formulas* and unlike me, you may have no issues with their respective brushes. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist in this area but at the same time I thought it would give you something to think about the next time you decide to purchase a new mascara. That is if you haven't found "The One" yet!

Of course this year I will be trying others in fact, I already have a few I'm considering and can't wait to play with! :D


When deciding on trying a new mascara, is the brush an important selling point or am I the only nut case out there?



*It was confirmed again this week that there was a bad shipment of Diorshow Iconic Overcurl mascara from another Dior counter where they too had some returns. My guess is it may have been exposed to extreme temperatures.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...