Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

L'Oréal Spice Things Up Nail Color no 340 / Review...

Recently I mentioned I was slowly developing a nail polish addiction and this week seems to reflect this but I swear this was totally not planned and no, this blog is not turning into a nail blog, promise!

Stepping out of my comfort zone...

Some colors we are drawn to and other we steer clear of usually due to our personal preferences but also I believe due to past experiences, memories good or bad, some coming from as far as our early childhood. Now in my case the same can be said about smells and weirdly enough I've almost always associated fragrances with colors but that's for another day...





L'Oréal Nail Color in Spice Things Up no 340...

Part of L'Oréal's regular line up is a very pretty medium dusty rose although a tad warmer than what we usually see in this color family. I think every woman either owns or has owned, at least one version of it and whether a little lighter or a little more pink it's simply a classic! I'm not any different and have purchased similar shades in the past but honestly, I don't remember wearing them! With Spice Things Up I've figured out why. I really wanted to like it but it's just not me! Period!

For some bizarre reason I feel uncomfortable wearing it. It's not for me but wow does it look good on others! It is said that we can train our mind to like certain colors and that I do believe. How many times have we said we didn't like a specific color and than boom it's in fashion and we see it differently? For clothes it's one thing but for nails quite another. We don't stand in front of the mirror looking at ourselves all day so wearing a color different than the ones we are used to is not much of an issue, at least for me, as long as it's well put together. Nails, well how often do we look at our hands? I'm not saying I stare at them all day far from that but when we eat, drink, cook, wash them etc. We don't necessarily realise it but we do look at them a lot. I mean come on, if you're shopping green onions you've got to make sure you don't cut your fingers, no?

So, L'Oréal Spice Things Up is not for me but it's a beautiful shade for those who enjoy wearing this type of color. It goes with practically everything and it's suitable for any work environment. A great classic, really!


L'Oréal Spice Things Up no 340, left with top coat, right without.


In real life the color is not that bright (sorry for the blurry pics and weird colored skin, again) but you can see on the right how thin the formula is through the bottle and also notice the middle finger, the bottom part close to the cuticle appears a little sheer.

The formula...

Sheer but not as much as the last Sally Hansen I tried back in June. The first coat wasn't that great and you have to be careful to avoid pooling. The second coat did smooth things out but for some reason it seems to have thinned out the finish in some areas even though I waited at least fifteen minutes before applying it. The result wasn't as shiny as expected but to my defence this color was applied right after Dior Nuit 1947 which had the most amazing shine ever!

Would I recommend L'Oréal Nail Color? Yes & no.

Yes, if you like the color selection but I don't know how stable the formula is from one shade to the next. If you're looking to try something new that's more wallet friendly L'Oréal's line up can be interesting, especially with their limited editions. Reviews I've read of some of their newer offerings were quite positive and with small sizes under $4.00 don't hesitate to try them if you like the colors.

No, firstly because the finish wasn't as shiny as one would expect from freshly applied nail polish. Spice Things Up definitely required a top coat. Secondly, if you're used to high end formulas and by that I don't necessarily mean price wise. In my opinion in roughly the same price range, Essie and O.P.I make superior polishes. So far my favorite super affordable drugstore brand is Rimmel London. The few colors I've tried have been a real surprises.

So this is my third day wearing Spice Things Up and I'm done! *reaches for vampy red* :)


Nail colors, which are you most attracted by?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...